Get The Look: Valentino Spring 2011
Valentino was one of my top five favorite spring/summer collections. I am in love with the proportions of the daywear ensembles, like the one pictured above. Short shorts (or a fitted mini) with nude heels and a blousy tunic belted at the waist creates the perfect silhouette, and flatters literally every figure. This look will be my go-to for spring.
1. The key to an all-black look, especially in spring, is texture. Make sure your shorts have a bit of sheen–a silk or leather pair will do the trick. These teeny-tiny ones from UO are perfect, but a bit pricey. For the same look at half the price, try these.
2. What makes this look so appealing is the length of the blouse. You want one that’s loose and hits just above the hem of your shorts. To get the full Valentino effect, make sure there is at least a little ruffle going on. This one is matte enough to contrast the sleek leather shorts. A sheer blouse would also look fantastic.
3. A patent leather belt draws the eye to a slim waist and imitates the sheen of the shorts.
5. Nude lips are a must (the one pictured is NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Tashkent).
6. Nude shoes help you pull off the short-shorts by lengthening the legs. I switched out heels for t-strap flats (these particular ones are at the tippy-top of my wish list), just because I would wear this look to class, and heels aren’t practical for everyday.
So there you have it. One of my favorite runway looks the real-life way. Also, as a side note, don’t be afraid to experiment with color, if you prefer it to an all black look…just stick to the same silhouette for a similar look with a little more punch.
Oh, and be sure to check out the entire spring/summer collection here, or better yet, watch the video (you will see the silhouette repeated throughout the show….and the shirt dresses are a-mazing, as is the soundtrack).